All of us feel down sometimes. There are days that things just don’t seem to go our way or we wake up on the wrong side of the bed. However, constantly feeling this way may be a sign of depression. Here are some things to look out for, so you know when to ask for help.
A career in counseling requires patience and one should consider it as a service towards society. An online counseling degree allows people to stay flexible and obtain various guiding skills. The American Counseling Association defines it as a practical application of human development principles and psychological development through behavioral development methods. There are options available to get a well-accredited degree in counseling through online courses. Universities have started providing training for pursuing a career through online counseling courses at different levels to know what career options are there, even if that means working with an online therapist service like BetterHelp: https://www.betterhelp.com/start/.
Students interested in a counseling course would be delighted to know that today, online counseling degrees are available at doctoral and masters level. To obtain the certification, you should make a proper research on the college where you wish to apply.
- Enrollment can be done online at an accredited university. You will receive the training depending on the course for which you apply.
- The course may stretch from six to eight years depending on the level that you have selected.
- When it comes to coursework and career, each level of a degree has certain opportunities as a counselor.
You apply for the following courses in order to pursue a degree in this field:
- Marriage therapist
- School counselor
- Mental health professional
Area that a professional counselor covers
An online counseling degree empowers the students to work in any field of policymaking, social work, and community service. It is also an important part of human resource development. Counselors need to work far more than just listening to the problems of different people as they have to come up with a plan of action. Resolving various issues in the professional and personal life of a person is an active part of a counselor’s profession. He needs to understand that the behavioral disorders can only be solved through different cognitive intervention techniques.
Deciding on the career that suits you
There are various careers available in the public sector as well as the private sector. The biggest advantage for a student holding a degree as a counselor is that they can work in different sectors and this improves their reach. You can either opt for a governmental agency or a private clinic. Though most of the counselors like to be self-employed, there are some people who have been working at top-ranked positions in different private sectors firms.
The demand for an online counseling degree has become equally good as that of a regular university degree. There are many companies that are hiring experts to improve the corporate culture in their organization. Human resource development is one of the most crucial parts of any organization. In order to manage employees and to get the best out of them, the firm needs to hire good counselors who can guide them. Developing goal-oriented strategies and evaluating the primary needs of the employee is given equal importance in any organization. Management consulting companies focus on creating a positive approach and set the right goals for various individuals. It is only possible to finish all these tasks with the help of a well-trained counselor who understands the human mind.
When it comes to working in a community service, the job of a counselor requires changes because here he is not just interacting with a company but he needs to interact with the community as a whole. It’s an interesting job, reducing the crime rate and improving the social scenario. There are many career options available for the counselor in this sector too. They can work in areas like therapist, teacher, child care, and research assistant.
What is anger management?
Anger is an emotion that may be experienced by people from time to time. This experience is considered normal when it can be controlled by the individual. However, there are certain people who face anger management issues. They get angry at petty things and often express their anger in a way that may be harmful or destructive to themselves or others around them. Oftentimes such disproportionate anger has some deeper, underlying reasons, such as a feeling of isolation, lack of attention, or not being acknowledged as has been explained by BetterHelp online therapy here: https://www.betterhelp.com/start/. Such behavior is usually responsible for causing complications in relationships and loss of psychological stability. With regard to health, excessive anger leads to a sudden rise in blood pressure, which may result in severe consequences.
Anger management refers to a learning process that involves understanding the signs that trigger sudden outbursts of anger. The techniques learned here help the individual control their temper and deal with situations in a non-destructive way. Anger management helps ensure the physical and emotional safety of the individual as well as those around them.
Importance of Anger Management
- Teaches techniques to channel energy in a positive way and remain calm
- Helps to deal with pressure and stress related to work
- Reduces feeling of hostility towards others
- Aims at increasing harmony and productivity
- Prevents unnecessarily venting out frustration on others
- Helps to keep health in check by reducing increased blood pressure levels
- Prevents cases of probable heart issues by practicing certain techniques
- Helps control fears related to anger issues
- Builds better communication techniques that are more assertive
- Helps to build emotional intelligence to reduce chances of sudden outbursts
How is anger management done?
- Recognizing the causes – Anger management aims at understanding the real signs and symptoms of a probable outburst. These may be external events such as humiliation, loss of job, etc. or internal events such as thoughts of failure, frustration, etc. Recognizing these instances enable people to use their anger constructively and prevent serious consequences.
- Controlling impulses – This therapy helps people to see reason before acting on their anger. When people get angry they are unable to judge between right and wrong. Anger management helps to control impulses by looking at a situation logically. Thus, the individual is able to make an informed decision, reducing chances of destructive actions.
- Relaxation – Practicing various exercises and meditation techniques is a way to de-stress and vent out one’s frustration in a way that does not cause harm to the individual or others. It seeks to calm the individual. If this happens, then there are fewer instances where one has to control his/her anger and can find a permanent solution to the issue.
Online counseling helps by:
- Using cognitive behavior therapy for anger management
- Identifying personal triggers that can get individuals angry
- Learning to react according to the intensity of the situation
- Learning to let go of anger in situations where it is not required
- Responding to anger in a way that is harmonious
- Helping to develop self-control
- Helping to gain control over thoughts and actions
- Challenging behavior and thoughts that cause anger
Advantages of using online counseling:
- The individual does not have to change his/her schedule to get help
- Help is available all the time
- It is comparatively easier to enroll into an online counseling program
- The procedure allows individuals to talk about their regular progress and the therapy is fashioned accordingly
- Counseling is affordable
- It is accessible in rural regions
- Privacy and confidentiality of all the information shared
- Availability of help during anger outbursts
In some marriages, this is what happens. The couple becomes so familiar with each other and grows very close over the years that they sometimes forget to treat one another with utmost respect. The husband will progress from white lies to compulsively lying. Nagging and shouting even at the littlest of things – this becomes the wife. With their “too familiar” behavior, the couple will then begin to hate each other and can fall out of love.
Every person has his way of coping with stress, grief, anxiety, trauma, pain and other negative emotions. There is no hard and fast rule on how to handle an unfortunate or unpleasant situation in your life. The critical thing to do is to find out the available remedies that can work correctly for you. Well, it is okay to continuously seek support from your family members, friends or other loved ones. However, it does not guarantee an ultimate resolution of your issues or problems.
Different people have different ways of coping us with stress and grief. There are some who just want to enjoy a moment of solitude. They are the ones who prefer to shut the world away from them during the period of emotional breakdown. Also, some individuals prefer to talk about their feelings and express their emotions. These are the people who find comfort in talking to a friend, a family member, a loved one or even a therapist.
On the average, mental illness kills more people than physical illness. Research proves that people with serious life threatening diseases like asthma, arthritis, angina, and cancer are less at risk compared to those who are suffering from depression. The good news is that there are treatments to cure individuals of such depressive mental conditions. The bad news is that people refuse to undergo such treatment or professional therapy even if it’s FREE; according to Betterhelp, they do not realize it is something more serious. In a more conservative society, any such therapy to treat depression is found to be a more personal concept.
If you find that your loved one, a parent, a guardian, a friend or a co-worker is going through any kind of psychological disturbance and needs complete care or support beyond what you can provide, below are some ways for encouraging a person to seek professional therapy.
At first, one needs to identify when a loved one requires proper professional help. Before advising the person to seek help, try to mark the person’s behavioral changes, physical changes and how often the person is participating in social meetings. Other reasons for concern include sleeping disorders, changes in weight and other disorders. Once these indications are noticed, a person may proceed to encourage in the following ways given below:
- Tell the person that the problem he is facing is very normal: Talk to the person and don’t force him/her to seek professional help in the beginning. Try to convince the person by saying that whatever he is facing is normal. Convince him that there is nothing to feel ashamed about. Remind him that this problem is very common to his age, gender, nationality, and society by referring to someone you may know. This will help the person relate his issue and will somehow console him. Give logics for this normatively.
- Let the person know that relationships you share matter a lot. Make him/her aware of their importance and try to build confidence. Let them know how much they matter to you and others in his/her life. Remind them that professional therapy won’t hurt emotions. Instead, the therapy will improve their mental state by curing anxiety issues, and phobias, thereby resulting in improved relationships.
- Make them aware that the problem is a reason of medical condition. Let the person know that depression or mental illness is a medical condition and can be treated like other conditions. Try to make a convincing conversation and do not use defensive language. Explain to them that it’s just like if they suffer from fever, They consult a doctor. Similarly, professional therapy will attempt to cure his mental illness.
- Let the person know how the illness is affecting other activities. Mental illness or depression though it involves psychological disturbance, may often interrupt other activities and ultimately harm relationships. Let the person know how the intense feeling is affecting how he interacts with other people, how his/her work performance is diminishing. If she is a mother, let her know how her profound feelings are disturbing her daily household activities. The key is that “change is baseline”. And it will be best if the person immediately seeks professional therapy in order to maintain things in their proper place.
To conclude, therapy improves people with depression in a variety of ways. There are different therapies depending on the person’s illness. If a person is ashamed of seeking professional help at centers, they may call the therapist at his/her own place. Professional therapy reveals a person internally and the results are long-term. Deciding to seek a therapist works effectively. Any person experiencing unusual behavior would benefit from therapy.
Therapy is an incredibly effective tool for more than one reason. It has been proven to be very effective for patients with anxiety issues, depression, and other mental health conditions. Research shows that therapy helps even those who don’t need any medications. Therapy is of two main types, namely, Traditional Therapy and Online Therapy. Traditional Therapy works on physical grounds, while online therapy or e-therapy, on the other hand, is the delivery of mental health counseling over the internet, the latter being better than just talking to a random stranger online, which is a online therapy service offered by companies like Betterhelp here: https://www.betterhelp.com/start/.
Experts have proven the effectiveness of online therapy to be a viable alternative to traditional therapy which is more time-consuming comparatively. Here are 11 good reasons why one should give online therapy a try.
- The convenience of communication. With online therapy, it is not necessary for the clients to fix appointments over the phone or personally. They can easily contact the therapist via email and initialize the therapy at any time that is convenient for both the parties.
- The absence of traveling. Clients don’t need to devote their precious time by visiting the counselor’s office. Instead, he can sit back at his own home and initiate the therapy.
- Less expensive. As it is conducted online, traveling charges of both the therapist and the client are eliminated. They only need to be available online in order to communicate. On the therapist’s side, his accommodation charges, capital, and traveling charges are eliminated.
- Suitable for adults and seniors. It is suitable for adults as well as for seniors, pregnant women, and depressed housewives.
- Helpful for people who are in abusive relationships. Online therapy helps people who are in abusive relationships who want to receive therapy without their partners being aware of. They can easily discuss their feelings by sending emails or using other online mediums with the therapist on the other side.
- Anonymity. Individuals who have issues communicating or interacting face to face with the therapists find online therapy more comfortable. For some people, it works well as they are comfortable with their names not being revealed and remain invisible to the therapist.
- Convenient for people with disabilities. Online therapy works best for people having certain disabilities. It is good for individuals who lack vision, are physically retarded or are mentally ill. It is also good for mothers who have to take care of their little children at home, as well as for seniors who are unable to walk or sit for long durations.
- Helps in structuring thoughts. Text based online therapy helps individuals construct their thoughts more sharply. They also get more time to recollect the issues they are experiencing. It helps to enhance the therapy more positively and in a better way.
- Flexibility of scheduling appointments. Since online therapy is free from intermediaries and registrations, clients can reschedule or cancel their therapists accordingly. They also don’t have to postpone their plans if they fall sick. Instead, they can go on with it even while resting at their own home.
- Security. Most traditional therapists accept clients 18 or older. They may allow persons below 18 or without parental consent. Security works both ways, so it is better to be intuitive before getting indulged in any therapy.
- Future reference. Emails or chats work as a reference for future discussion and review and is transparent of the treatment. It thereby proves to be very progressive and positive.
Hence, due to the abovementioned reasons, people can expect online therapies to work wonders. Studies have shown them to be significantly useful for treating various psychological disorders and mental conditions. However, it is important that people only take the services of professionally qualified and certified counselors.
Typically when you think of seeing a counselor, you think of mental health disorders such as depression or anxiety. Or perhaps you might think of attending counseling because of a relationship breakdown. What might surprise you though is the fact that you don’t need to be experiencing problems to this extent to benefit from counseling. There are a number of ways that counseling can help an already well-functioning person improve in a variety of areas in their life. Read on to see how counseling may help you to reach your full potential.
Have you ever felt low and less motivated? Have you lost the will to carry on despite the activities that used to bring you a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment? Have you ever felt so lonely and isolated, where no amount of encouraging words will suffice to make you feel better? Imagine these negative emotions taking its toll on your daily life for a prolonged period of time. A lot of people with depression are left untreated and undiagnosed because they tend to just brush it off. There are possible reasons why sometimes it ends up to harmful consequences such as suicide. It could be because of social stigma, culture, lack of information or education regarding its causes, signs, and symptoms.